This medal was struck on
orders of the Shah of Afghanistan in 1839 to show his appreciation
to the British forces who restored him to his throne. The
obverse depicts the fortress of Ghunzee with the word ‘GHUNZEE’
below while the reverse has a mural crown surrounded by a laurel
wreath with the date ’23 JULY 1839’. The suspender is straight
with a ring passing through a smaller loop sweated to the top of
None authorised for this medal.
35mm wide with two equal stripes of crimson and dark green.
un-named but many were privatel engraved in varying styles.
This is the second medal awarded by Britain for a particular
separate dies exist for this medal with one having a wider border
around the edge than the other. The second has a narrower and taller