Two version of the medal exist. The first obverse of this
medal has a crowned harp within a wreath with the inscription 'REWARD
OF MERIT - IRISH CONSTABULARY' while the second has the insription
'REWARD OF MERIT - ROYAL IRISH CONSTABULARY' to recognise the addition
of 'ROYAL' to the name of the Irish Constabulary in 1867. There
are also slight differences to the harp with the second version
being more plain without the female figure found on the earlier
medal. The reverse of both medals have a wreath within which is
engraved the name of the recipient. The suspender is straight, plain
Authorised for subsequent awards in 1920.
Originally light blue but changed to green in 1872.
Awarded for gallantry and meritorous service to officers
of the Irish Constabulary until 1872 when it was awarded for gallantry
only. With the partition of Ireland in 1922 the medal was discontinued.
315 medals with 7 bars were awarded. Most awards were made during
the Easter Rising in 1916 (23) and the Anglo-Irish War in 1920-21